How To Work and Live In Canada After Graduating- See Detailed Guide

Are you a student who just completed college and would like to stay in Canada after graduation? Then, applying for a post-graduate work permit would be the way to go, and this permit allows holders to work for any Canadian employer for eight months to three years.

The Post-graduate work permit (PGWP) is usually issued to students who have graduated from an eligible designated learning institution (DLI). Once an applicant gets the visa and gains work experience in their study area, they can apply for Canadian permanent residency.

Eligibility for Post Graduate Work Permit(PGWP)

The post-graduate work permit program only accepts applications from students over 18 years of age who have studied full-time in Canada for a program of at least eight months.

  1. The student must have maintained full-time student status during each academic session of the program they completed.
  2.  The student must have completed their program of study
  3.  The student must have/ have had a valid student visa
  4.  the student must have completed over 50% of their program of study via in-person classes

Canada Proof Of Funds For Student Visa
MBA In Canada Without GMAT
Canada Provincial Nominee Program
Canada Express Entry 2024- Detailed Guidelines

Documents needed when applying for the PGWP

  1. A letter confirming completion of the program of study
  2.  Transcript from the DLI
  3.  Leave of study (only applicable if the student took a leave from study during their program)

A PGWP takes between 80 to 180 days to be processed. It is helpful to note that the PGWP can only be issued once to a student. If you have already applied for and received the PGWP, you will not be given it a second time.